Our Commitment to Ethical Trade
Sud Bazàr sources quality products, garments, and other materials from a range of suppliers located throughout Southern Italy. As a company, we place great value on responsible and ethical trade, and we extend this ideal to every one of our supplier partnerships. For this reason, we are committed to buying our goods only from those manufacturers who operate in a way that respects workers’ rights, maintains safe working conditions, upholds local employment laws, and protects the environment. Not only is this what our customers have come to expect from us, but we firmly believe that manufacturers with safe and fair working conditions are those that produce the highest quality goods.
Our Suppliers are Our Partners
We recognise that the relationships we form with our suppliers are the key to our success. Sud Bazàr currently offers over 1000 products from food items to homeware, with new items being introduced each month. Thus, our business model demands that we have access to a unique and versatile supplier base. We consider our suppliers to be our partners, and we are committed to providing these companies with the help and time they need to meet our standards for ethical and responsible business.
To ensure that we are all working towards the same goals, we developed a set of standards, codes, and policies that clearly define the responsible sourcing principles we adhere to. We require suppliers to be familiar with these principles and to meet (or to work towards meeting) them in their operations.
Our supplier partnerships are dynamic and open, allowing for a healthy exchange of feedback, ideas, and information. We constantly strive to review and improve our sourcing practices so that our actions will only serve to strengthen our suppliers and not compromise their ability to reach our standards. Working collaboratively with suppliers in this way allows us to deepen our supplier relationships, strengthen our ethical trade program, and ultimately enhance our whole business model.
Sud Bazàr Suppliers Operate with Excellence & Integrity
Our commitment to trading responsibly and ethically is described in a set of two key documents:
Sud Bazàr Ethical Standards
Sud Bazàr Ethical Standards defines the ethical working relationship we maintain with our suppliers, emphasising the importance of creating partnerships built on trust and transparency. It also describes our commitment to select and work with manufacturers who are committed to continuous improvement of their working conditions.
We understand that our commercial actions may influence our suppliers' ability to meet our standards. Sud Bazàr, in turn, is committed to:
- Making our requirements from suppliers clear
- Paying suppliers on time
- Working together to ensure good labour conditions
- Negotiating changes to contracts where necessary
Sud Bazàr Ethical Code of Conduct
Our Ethical Code of Conduct is based on the Ethical Trading Initiative Base Code, which is in turn founded on International Labour Organization Conventions. It defines the minimum standards that we require from all suppliers who manufacture or supply goods for Sud Bazàr.
- Business integrity
- Compliance with laws and regulations
- Terms of employment for workers at manufacturing sites
- Freedom of association and the right to collective bargaining
- Wages and working hours
- Young workers (for more detail, see our Young Worker and Child Labour policy)
- Maintaining a fair and respectful working environment
- Health and safety
- Environmental management
Environmental Performance Standards
In sourcing suppliers, we also consider their environmental performance. We specifically evaluate their commitment to minimising any harmful impacts of their operations on the surrounding community and the environment at large.
Areas our suppliers must assess and manage include:
- Waste management: The elimination or reduction of waste by practices such as modifying production, improved maintenance, materials substitution, conservation, recycling, and the re-use of materials.
- Energy and water reduction: The reduction of the consumption of water, electricity, gas, oil, and other fuels through improved employee awareness, investment in energy/water saving equipment,improvement in production efficiency , use of rainwater and recycled water, etc.
- Hazardous Substances: Promoting the safe handling, movement, storage, use, recycling, or reuse and disposal of hazardous chemicals and other materials.